Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Holden Caulfield




I got a cintiq! This thing is great, I'm starting to wonder how I survived without one.

These are sketches of Holden Caulfield, the main character in Catcher in the Rye. He's become one of my favorite male characters in literature. I heard that girls don't usually like the book, and I could understand why. Regardless, I liked it a lot and thought it was a great read. 
A lot of people ask me why I only draw girls, and usually, especially in TV and movies, females are foils, scapegoats, or manic pixie characters that work against the males. To put it generally, that's why I like them more. In literature, especially older literature, I tend to like male characters more. I don't like most modern male characters. 
The necessity of the use of narration in a book is also another reason why I generally like males more. In TV I find that I feel like male characters tend to fall flat to their basic character traits. 

EDIT: I had no idea that JD Salinger looked like this until after I drew these; but it's pretty much exactly how I pictured Holden OMG 



No comments:

Post a Comment